Ideal opportunity for people who are looking to learn all aspects of general building and progress in the construction industry. The right candidates will learn carpentry, bricklaying, and general building with great opportunities to progress. We specialise in high specification house extensions, refurbishing and renovation in Hampshire area.
We cover all aspects of building renovations:
Structural renovation might include:
- Loft conversions.
- Construction of a basement.
- Redesign of floor plans.
- Re-wiring, re-plumbing, and so on.
Cosmetic renovation might include:
- Painting and other forms of decoration and minor repairs.
- Updating fixtures and fittings.
- Light landscaping
- Ventilation and extract ducts.
- Wiring for power, lighting, central heating controls, alarms, aerials, speakers, phone and data, and so on.
- Plumbing for water supply, heating, drainage, and so on.
- Fitting light fittings, sockets, switches, phones, TV points, and so on.
- Hanging doors.
- Fixing skirting, architraves, spindles and handrails.
- Installing bathroom fittings.
- Installing boiler and controls, and fitting radiators.
- Fitting kitchens and any fitted furniture.
- Preparing surfaces for decorating.
Painting, staining, varnishing and so on begins once the second fix work and preparation is complete. To achieve a good finish it is important that the surfaces are thoroughly smooth and clean in advance. Tiling of bathrooms and kitchens should also be done at this stage, as well as any soft floor coverings such as vinyl and carpet.
Core Technical Competencies/Skills and Knowledge/ Understanding
A Multi-skilled Construction Operative will use their knowledge and understanding of basic building, carpentry, electrical, plumbing and decorating to;
- Understand and demonstrate the importance of Health and Safety in the workplace
- Comply with organisational safety, policies and procedures and identify hazards and reduce them
- Consider safety compliance with a diverse sector of client groups
- Understand and demonstrate the importance of working safely at height
- Carry out repairs to the fabric of a building, for example repairs to walls, doors, doorframes, skirting boards or plaster damage to internal walls
- Understand and maintain plumbing and drainage systems, for example repairs to WC systems, leaking taps or water testing and unblocking drains
- Maintain high levels of water hygiene within a building
- Understand and maintain electrical distribution, safe repair of electrical installation to legal requirements, for example replacing damaged sockets, plugs, lighting and fuses.
- Understand and maintain plant, safety systems and equipment
- Demonstrate and implement energy, environment and sustainable practices
- Understand and maintain grounds and external fabrication of a building, such as drainage and guttering
- Understand and demonstrate the safe use of hand tools, for example screwdrivers, power drills, pliers, paper strippers and a variety other tools used in plumbing and carpentry
- Demonstrate and understand the importance of the control of resources and stock
- Understand how to prepare for refurbishment or deep clean of equipment and surfaces
- Carry out repairs and reactive maintenance
- Understand the importance of customer service
- Record and report information accurately either internally or externally
Core Behavioural Attributes
- Have a flexible attitude
- Commitment to quality and excellence
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Persists in the face of adversity
- Thorough approach to work
- Ownership of work and follow through to a satisfactory conclusion.
- Client/Customer focus and interaction
- Able to live the organisations values
- Ability to create effective working relationships
- Aptitude for problem solving
- Ability to comply with company policies and procedures
- Ability to control and influence within remit
- Persuasive influencing skills
- Shows respect for all stakeholders
- Take ownership of situations
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Communicates effectively either verbally or in writing
- Problem solving approach
- A drive for efficiency and value for money
- Communicate effectively at all levels
- Ability to understand limitations within the role
- A drive for quality and excellence
Completing this traineeship programme with its transferable skills will enable progression into roles such as a Technical Specialist e.g., Electrical, Plumbing and Construction across a wide range of sectors.